Spring 2012 Conference
Bring it On! Shaping the Future of Academic Librarianship
Inn on the Twenty, Jordan, Ontario – Friday April 27, 2012
This is a joint conference by the Western New York/Ontario Chapter, ACRL (WNY/O ACRL) and the Ontario College and University Library Association (OCULA). Registration and program information will be posted here shortly.
Registration is now closed.
|8:30 a.m. – 9:15 a.m.
||Registration and Breakfast
|9:15 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.
|9:30 a.m. – 10:15 a.m.
- Keynote: The Crisis in Academic Librarianship, and Why This is Such a Good Thing
- Michael Ridley, University of Guelph
|10:15 a.m. – 11:00a.m.
- Pecha Kuchas (see descriptions and presentations)
- “Drawing its name from the Japanese term for the sound of “chit chat”, it rests on a presentation format that is based on a simple idea: 20 images [or slides] x 20 seconds. It’s a format that makes presentations concise, and keeps things moving at a rapid pace” (from http://www.pecha-kucha.org/).
- Mentoring New Librarians for Teaching Success
Allison Bell, University of Toronto
- Adapt for the Future: Applying Discovery Layers in Academic Libraries
Courtney Lundrigan and Kevin Manuel, Ryerson University
- Occupy the Stacks: What Academic Libraries Can Learn from The People’s Library
Carey Toane, MLIS candidate – Western University
- The Library is the Cloud
Pamela Jacobs, Brock University
- Learning Environment Architect … Moving from Lecture to Experience
Mara Bordignon, Seneca College
- Five Librarians Walk into a Bar…
Lise Doucette, Marni Harrington, Courtney Waugh, University of Western Ontario
|11:00 a.m. – 11:15 a.m.
|11:15 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Birds of a Feather
- The idea of birds of a feather (BoF) is to give people a chance to get together and discuss topics of mutual interest. Ideas for discussion are all up to participants. You will have a chance to contribute your idea or sign up for a session. Each of the discussion topics will be assigned a table and during the BoF hour time slot…groups can take the discussion wherever it will go!” (modified from: http://wilu2010.blog.lib.mcmaster.ca/)
|12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m.
|1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Interactive Session: Finding Your Voice and Defining Your Message
- Bhupesh Shah and Kimeiko Hotta-Dover, Seneca College
|4:00 p.m. – 4:15 p.m.
||Conference wrap-upEveryone is welcome to join us for dinner at the Jordan House at 5:00pm